Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Homemade "Honey Bee' Cream

I'm bringing you this older post from my previous blog, that I am planning to slowly and selectively update and bring over here. Mostly I'm so excited at the prospect of using my own beeswax and honey in this cream come fall.....



My oldest daughter had very bad eczema as a toddler. In my stumblings to identify healthy skin potions that don't cost a fortune, I read a research paper that suggested putting a 1:1:1 mixture of honey, beeswax and olive oil on people's skin. I have no idea how they made that work because said mixture is basically a solid. However, with some trial and error I have developed the following recipe

1 part by weight Beeswax, grated
5 to 6 parts by weight high-quality, organic olive oil
1 part raw Honey. There might be a benefit to using local honey, which is what I did.

Put the grated wax and the olive oil in a microwave safe dish and heat. I heat in 30 second increments and stir in between. Do this until the wax is completely dissolved in the oil. Then stir and stir and stir while the mixture cools down. When it's not super hot anymore, add the honey. Then keep stirring for a while, until the mix becomes more solid and cream-like. Put in a jar. You can squeeze out a capsule or two of a vitamin E supplement and mix that in, to prolong the shelf life.

My daughter went through phases where she likes this cream and other where she claims it hurts her. This was true for all creams we have tried so far. So if you're struggling with eczema, I figure it's worth a shot. If you're looking for a really nice hand-cream (useful as gift, too!) - you got it. I bet you could add some essential oil if you're not blessed with sensitive skin.

I shared this post on www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com!
The Self Sufficient HomeAcre

No comments:

Post a Comment