Sunday, October 6, 2013

Homegrown Popcorn!

This was a big day for our family: The kids had patiently waited for our ornamental popcorn to dry, and we were going to put it in our air popper!

First, of course, it had to be broken off the cobs:

The popping itself was funny! I never realized that the air blower was calibrated to commercial size popcorn kernels. Of course, ours are a bit smaller, and were flying right out without popping first! I tried to catch them in my hand, only to burn myself. After a couple of tries with mechanical devices to hold the kernels in, I realized that I could just hold the whole contraption at an angle, and from there on, it was smooth popping.


The resulting popcorn is smaller than what we're used to, but it's much nicer to eat. Those hard bits that tend to get stuck in your gums? We don't have them!


Today's popcorn was served with a sprinkle of dill, garlic, nutritional yeast, cheese sprinkle, and of course, butter. Happy Movie Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment