Monday, May 20, 2013

Playdough cookies

This is one of my kids' favorite activities. We've used if for children's parties, and for rainy days, and for sunny days. It's a simple cookie recipe that actually tastes pretty decent. I think it's the somewhat unusual addition of cream cheese that gives it a realistic play dough consistency.

The recipe is not mine, so I'll just share the link. Make just as instructed. I make the kids pick 4 colors. Chill them in disk-shape to hasten the process (your kids are patient? Go see a pediatrician about that, it sounds very unusual, to say the least).

I highly recommend portioning out the dough yourself, to avoid excessive handling and grossness of the endresult. The flower decorations on the table are courtesy of my older 2 children.

Plasticky type placemats help making work easier. Also, pre-cut pieces of baking paper help tranfer the creations to the cookie sheet. Instructing the children to work at even thickness is more difficult.

on the left, that's a grass cookie

Even the 2-year-old is hard at work here.
 Before baking, the cookies looked like this.


And baked: The browning is inevitable on the thinner edges.


You can see dragonflies, snakes, bug-eyed faces, rainbows, and flowers here. It's the mom version of the Rorschach test, so do your best, okay?

PS: You may be surprised at my use of horrible, synthetic food coloring. Go ahead and buy the natural kinds, I won't mind, I just haven't gotten around to experimenting with those yet.
I really try to teach my kids that homemade trumps store bought, and food coloring does play a role in my grand plan, especially when it comes to birthday cakes... so I keep it in the house.

I shared this post at
The Self Sufficient HomeAcre

3 comments:

  1. How fun!! I'm stopping by from the HomeAcre Blog Hop.
    Thanks
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in and reading! I want to read all those wonderful blogs through the hop, it's so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Fun! Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop! Look forward to having you back again tomorrow: http://blackfoxhomestead.com/the-homeacre-hop/

    ReplyDelete