Monday, June 17, 2013

Berry Sourbet

I'm making up a name for this favorite dessert of ours. It's not ice cream, it's not really sorbet either. So I'm going with sourbet, because the dairy component is sour cream. With just 4 ingredients, it is the simplest and yet most delicious summer treat we make. It works with strawberries, blackberries and raspberries, as far as we have tried.


Ingredients:
2 cups pureed berries
1 pint sour cream (I really prefer the organic kind at Trader Joe's, it's almost like creme fraiche. I do not think that the low fat substitutes would work here.)
1 cup sugar or equivalent alternative sweeteners, adjusted to taste based on the berries
2 Tbsp vanilla (unlike in baking, I think that a high quality vanilla really shines here. I like Penzey's)

Method
1. Crush the berries with the stick of an immersion blender
 2. Add sugar and vanilla, and blend some more. Then add sour cream and blend until uniform.
 3. Freeze in a glass dish with cover. If you are on top of things like that, you can stir it a few times as it freezes. I don't usually have my act together enough for that, and that means the ice crystallizes a bit. That said, no variation of this sourbet has ever been rejected by my children!
Make it in an ice cream maker if you're in a rush, it works just as well and of course freezes faster. I just don't like that it makes so little at a time :-)

Hoping I'll get enough raspberries this year, to make the raspberry version. In other years, I've had a glut of blackberries and this recipe was a huge hit there, too. Happy Summer!

The Self Sufficient HomeAcreThe Self Sufficient HomeAcrefoodstoragesunday

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! It would be lovely for the Fourth of July. Thanks for sharing at the HomeAcre Hop! We'd love to have you back: http://blackfoxhomestead.com/uncategorized/the-homeacre-hop-25/

    ReplyDelete