Saturday, September 7, 2013

Tomatoes!

I'm finding myself with a bunch of tomato seconds - but small ones. Way too small to peel for sauce or salsa, and also not enough of them. But too many to eat! The internet suggested I dry them and YUM! Why didn't I, the proud owner of an Excalibur, think of that? I cut them into halves or pieces and squished the seeds out with my thumb:

 
They shrivel up into a sad little handful, but oh the flavor they pack! Can't wait to use them in my winter cooking.

It's hard to gauge the exact drying time. Too long and they're too hard. Too short and too much moisture will make them grow mold. I stored some in the freezer, just to be on the safe side. They take up very little room, after all.


I'm so happy we came back in time to enjoy the last of the tomato harvest!





2 comments:

  1. I'm on a veggie dehydrating kick myself these days, although I'm secretly envious of your Excalibur dehydrator! (visiting from The Backyard Farming Connection Hop)

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Wolfe City, Texas

    ReplyDelete