Saturday, July 6, 2013

More Than Honey



When we were picking cherries at a local fruit farm the other day, I saw a pallet of four beehives. It was the first time I consciously noticed commercial bees, and I took the opportunity to ask the farmer a few questions about them. He told me he needs the services of 160 hives to cover the pollination needs of his crops. Two local commercial beekeepers supply them. I asked if they were small operations? Or else, why did he need two suppliers? No, was the answer, both of the suppliers have hundreds if not thousands of hives they rent out. So why deal with two suppliers? He explained he feels the need to hedge against one of them having such a horrible year with hive mortality that enough supply might not be available for his needs on the farm. And this situation did indeed occur this year, he quoted a hive mortality of 45% (I have heard higher numbers before...). 

 

Every time I talk bees with someone new, I learn more. I hope others will, too, so I am currently working with my beekeeping friend and fellow blogger to organize local showings of the movie 'More Than Honey'.



Do watch the trailer, it got me incredibly excited to watch the whole film. It marries beautiful cinematography with in-depth looks at different aspects of beekeeping, showing how truly amazing bees really are, and how bizarre commercial beekeeping (and therefore our agricultural system) is on the large scale. I can't wait to recruit new BEElievers by showing it at my local library and church.



6 comments:

  1. Good Morning! No bees=No food. When we finally get a chance to move, beekeeping is on my list.
    YOU have been featured this morning at Tuesdays with a Twist!
    Hope to see you again this week.

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/07/tuesdays-with-twist-15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to be featured, and to spread the word about bees and their health. Thank you so very much!

      Delete
  2. I love bees and am concerned about their survival! I am interested in seeing this film- thanks!

    Love, Joy
    Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm your newest email subscriber- looking forward to keeping up with you and reading more posts! :)

    ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Joy! It made my day joyful :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing on Tuesdays With a Twist. As an advocate for real food, founder of Louisiana Right to Know I know how important the bees are. I have not seen this movie thanks for bringing to my attention.

    Bee keeping is something I want to learn about. This year I have not seen one honey bee in our garden, they are very important to are environment.

    ReplyDelete