Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wild Fermented Refrigerator Pickles

 It's the season! Your local farm stand or your own garden is cranking out the cucumbers. What is it with this plant, it always seems to be producing in such a feast or famine way? 
I started making these last year, and I get awfully close to my favorite fresh deli pickle taste that I aspire to. I am not a fan of canned pickles, and I am definitely not into sweet ones, either. Bring on the dill, as far as I'm concerned!



 The recipe couldn't be simpler:

For 2 quarts of pickles, boil 3 cups of water. Let it cool with the lid on, and add 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 2 Tbsp salt.

Pack into 2 clean wide mouth quart jars each:

2 sliced garlic cloves
2-4 sprigs of dill, stems and all. Flowers, too, if you have them.
1 Tbsp pickling spices


Pack the jars full of cucumbers. You can slice them if you like, I personally like them halved (not too soggy, but they get the flavor). Pack another sprig or so of dill on the top, and pour the water and vinegar mixture on, to cover the cucumbers. Losely cover, I like to use those reusable plastic mason jar lids. Make sure gasses can still escape, as you're going to let the jars sit on the counter for a few days (depending on temperature and your preference), before placing them in the fridge.


You can eat them now, but they'll be good for a few weeks (though not months and months).

Wildcrafting Wednesday   http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XDZ2dzJ8kHA/TsEtvzW6vPI/AAAAAAAAAbA/YZb-BQ4EQPo/s1600/frugaldaysad1.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, I was wanted something simple for making pickles with the small amount of cucumbers I am getting from the garden.

    Please share on Tuesdays With a Twist.
    http://yourlife7.blogspot.com/2013/07/tuesdays-with-twist-15-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love refrigerator pickles. They are SO easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ssshh! I want people to think I'm some sort of domestic goddess, you know? LOL

      Delete
  3. very attractive and tempting. durable good and that important or not at all durable due immediately devoured .. hehehe .. thx on science

    ReplyDelete